The Vancouver Island Social Innovation Zone (VISIZ) envisions Vancouver Island as the place to test and grow enterprising solutions to social issues.
Things we’ve done
• Momentum Partner for seCatalyst Gala and Day-of-Leaning event sup-porting and showcasing the Island’s social enterprise sector.
• Literature Review providing definitions and an overview of social innovation, and developing a social innovation framework.
• Mentor Training for Incubation Centre for Entrepreneurs (ICE)- train professional volunteer mentors on the challenges and opportunities specific to social enterprise start- ups.
• Social Innovation Cohort: pairing co- op students with placements in social enterprises or innovation projects, providing funding for the social enterprise/innovation alongside other post- secondary supports.
• Mapping Vancouver Island’s current social innovations/enterprises, finance vehicles, intermediaries and campus assets on hubcapbc.ca
• Social Innovation Pitch Showcase brought together 10 student teams to pitch their social enterprise ideas for seed funds and ongoing mentorship by ICE. Enterprises included an ‘ugly food’ grocery store, awareness raising for prosthetics and a tool sharing app.
• Social Innovation Symposium was for Vancouver Island faculty and staff to share how different post-secondaries are advancing social innovation education. Over 70 attendees shared their experience and ways to advance social innovation.
• Social Finance Mapping and Forum brought together various community actors to learn about the social finance assets and gaps supporting social enterprise and social innovation on Vancouver Island. This initiative is summarized in an upcoming report.
• VIEA Booth – as part of our community consultations, VISIZ had a presence at VIEA’s annual conference.
1. Education and Training
2. Engaging Students, Communities and Post-Secondaries Together
3. Incubation and Acceleration of Social Enterprise
To strengthen collaborative relationships, activities and initiatives of post-‐secondary institutions, community, economic actors and government in support of enterprising approaches to social innovation on Vancouver Island.
Working together to develop key infrastructures for social innovation, social enterprise and social finance support.
Envisioning Vancouver Island as the place to test and grow enterprising solutions to social issues.
Transforming Vancouver Island’s economic and social reality into a regional zone of blended economic value and social equity.